Summary: We are looking for several dynamic individuals who share our commitment to protect and expand abortion access and reproductive rights with an intersectional focus. Positions are available in Northern, Southern, and Western Colorado. Our team of Field Organizers works with the leadership team to develop and implement strategies and plans that activate and expand the Cobalt membership and supporters and recruit a multiracial cadre of community leaders & activists to win victories that advance the interests of abortion and reproductive rights in Colorado. The largest portion of organizers’ time will be spent on the phone talking with and recruiting community members, encouraging them to take action to protect and expand abortion and reproductive rights and access via educational, legislative outreach, and electoral efforts. Electoral efforts include both candidate and issue campaigns. This position reports directly to the Regional Director.
- Support the overall advocacy and electoral work of Cobalt, with a focus on grassroots and
- Identify, recruit, and train a diverse group of people from Cobalt-aligned organizations & communities as well as the broader public, with specific weekly goals to:
- Identify potential community leaders & activists through various tactics including phone calls, text, and social media
- Conduct relational one-on-one meetings (remotely or in-person) with potential community leaders and activists
- Mobilize community members to conduct outreach and advocacy activities
- Conduct regular volunteer and activist orientations and training
- Provide comprehensive support to community leaders & activists to ensure a productive and positive experience that results in repeat engagement
- Execute an outreach program, including phone bank, text bank and relational voter outreach operations
- Organize digital and in-person meetings/events; both regular and occasional
Media and Communications
- Recruit community leaders & activists to write letters to the editor/op-eds, as needed
- Help provide training (with help from other Cobalt staff) for community leaders & activists to be effective spokespeople on the issue of abortion and reproductive rights and access
- Identify and make connections with local/community media outlets and share with Cobalt media consultant
- Support the overall Cobalt social media strategy
Other Related Duties as Assigned
Knowledge and skills required:
- Self-motivated, Self-starter. Experience working with minimal supervision and able to perform effectively under tight time deadlines. Ability to quickly shift from remote to office and event settings
- Deep & demonstrated knowledge of your Colorado communities Strong interpersonal communication skills & abilities Comfort with talking to people on the phone for hours a day Strong grasp of contemporary political issues and current events
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial, gender and economic justice
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, one-on-one and in a group
- Willingness to work long and/or irregular hours, including nights/ weekends, depending on campaign needs
- Proficiency in Google Suite Experience recruiting and working with community leaders & activists is highly preferred Political campaign and/or community organizing experience preferred
- Experience working with VAN preferred
- Regular reporting on both qualitative and quantitative information
- Ability to organize systems and complex information
- Detail-oriented. Ability to learn new technology systems quickly
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills. Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to undertake, balance, and manage multiple tasks and assignments
- Bilingual Spanish/ English strongly preferred
- Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation required
- Passion for reproductive rights.
Location: These positions are remote, but applicants who live in the following counties are preferred: El Paso, Pueblo, Weld, Larimer, Adams, Boulder, Garfield, Montrose. Travel outside your home county up to 20% of the time.
Schedule: These positions can be either full, part-time, or contractual depending on the candidate. You are in control of your schedule, but must attend several regularly scheduled meetings in support of your work that occur during standard office hours.
Salary: The salary range for this position is $20+/hour and will be adjusted based on an internal equitable scale that takes into consideration experience and final job description. Full-time positions include employer paid health insurance, dental, vision and retirement plan. Generous time off including paid sick leave, personal time, holidays and office closure at the end of December.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a priority for applicants who apply by May 1.
Cobalt is deeply committed to diversity and we encourage applications that reflect diversity in age, socio-economic status, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, geography, and expertise.